Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Consistency

When I said I'd be posting everyday, I meant at least once a month :)

It is very cold now. It seems like Fall never happened as just last week it was in the low to mid 80s. This week I wake up and it's 22 degrees. With wind chill it's 14. And that's a good wind.
Thankfully when I packed for college I anticipated this and took people's stories (that seemed exaggerated at the time) to heart and had one suitcase more than half filled with just jackets. Other gifts such as my lumberjack hat, Beardhead, and Panda Hat keep my head warm, and random accessories Laura gave me such as a scarf and gloves are aiding the cause as well.

I wake up Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays to darkness, and with that darkness, extreme cold. I grudgingly get out of bed, shower, and contemplate if I should wear one hoodie and a coat or numerous hoodies. After putting on jeans and a t-shirt, I open the door to my apartment, let some cold in and make my final decision, again, grudgingly.
People tell me it's not even at it's worst, or even close to it. I feel a strong desire to punch these people. But all in all I laugh. I laugh at how ridiculously cold it is. That on the coldest days of winter in the Bay area, it would MAYBE hit the teens. It's late October and Rexburg has already accomplished this. I'm on the Fall/Winter track. This makes me :'(

But I am checking off many firsts with this weather. I wore my first scarf today, and though I did feel a tad flamboyant, I was indeed warm and received quite a few compliments. I also played soccer in the snow for the first time, though that was not planned, nor enjoyable. And upon getting home from said practice, I took what surely had to be the longest shower I've ever taken, trying to thaw my entire body.

I'll share a few stories since I've obviously neglected this blog for quite some time.
Monday we had Family Home Evening and since I'm the 'dad' of our family I plan half the activities. It was my week so I decided we should go to Mustache Monday at a local burger joint called 'Sammy's'. The deal is: if you have a real mustache, you get a free grilled cheese, and if you have a fake one, (drawn on or otherwise) you get half off.
 Though my Beardhead was obviously the best, we all went got some delicious grilled cheese sandwiches and some quite tasty shakes. One of the fellows liked my Beardhead so much, he gave me a free order of fries and took my picture with a polaroid and put it up on their wall.
The other day I also received a care package from my loving girlfriend back home. This included some candy, mac n cheese, WOOL SOCKS! Hand and feet warmers, ear plugs (for my snoring roommate -__-) and a wonderful letter.
The picture above shows how I'm dealing with the cold. The scarf from my sister, my multi-hoodie action, wool socks that you can't see, and the hot chocolate that, though scalding when I bought it, got to the perfect temperature by the time I walked home.

I'm sure I'll say this again in a month, but I'll try to take more pictures and post more often so everyone can feel bad for me more often and maybe people will send me more things :)

2 comments:

wanda said...

Loved the pictures! And BTW, you're the only child I didn't hear from yesterday. Oh, was it my birthday? Why yes it was!

laura said...

Hahaha... mom swoops in with the guilt smackdown!