Thursday, October 28, 2010

This is where I complain

You'll surely read a lot about my confusion as to why Katie likes me so much. Don't get me wrong, I love her too, and am extremely glad the feeling is mutual. But why! If I'm not telling her a weird story that, after I finish the story, I realize it had absolutely no point, I'm usually complaining to her. Or my roommates. Or my parents. Or any friends who happen to be online. But I complain in a way that makes (some) people laugh. This way they don't realize until later that I was in fact complaining.

Today I choose to complain about people who don't walk correctly. Is it just me or should walking on sidewalks be treated similarly to driving? Just walk on the right side and there won't be any awkward standoffs where you feel like you're dancing with the other person. Leave some room in the middle of the walkway so people who have somewhere to go can pass those that are simply meandering and don't have anything important to do.
I am one such person that usually walks quite swiftly, especially when I'm walking alone. Other idiots think it's fine to diverge from their straight walking and, just when I'm about to pass them, move left, speed up or worst of all: start a full fledged conversation in the middle of the walkway. 'Oh my gosh! Hey random person I said 5 words to one semester in some stupid philosophy class! Let's have an awkward conversation that has no direction in the middle of this sidewalk so people who are trying to get to class have to stop, give us weird looks and step around us! It would be make so much more sense to stand off to one side, but since we don't care... What's up!'

These people frustrate me.

But to give a more specific example: I was walking to my science class which is in the middle of an oddly formatted building. Just as I was about to go through the doors, the guy in front of me thinks it's cool to just barely slide in past the closing door. Literally doing a jump step to barely make it through before the door slaps him on the butt leaving me to have to grab the door awkwardly and hold it open long enough for the next person to grab the door. He then continues to walk, slowly mind you, in the middle of the hallway in a sort of beeline, making any attempt to pass him difficult and awkward. He would veer towards a door as if it was his class. But alas, he would swerve right back into the middle of the hallway cutting me off. This continued till I finally reached my class.

People need to learn to be normal.

Yes I exaggerate the little things. But it's fun. It's what I do.

1 comment:

laura said...

Yeah dude, you should probably never come to NYC.

The door thing is a constant vexation to me.