Monday, November 8, 2010

Biking, Insensitivity, and Snow

This weekend was surprisingly the funnest weekend I've had up here. Friday, I joined up with my buddy Andrew and a friend he met at BYU summer semester named Kyle. For those of you that know Craig Perry, Kyle is Craig... I saw him on campus once and thought it was in fact Craig.
Anyway, we met up with some women and went to a local burger joint-Sammy's. They specialize in burgers fries and shakes. They are quite delicious. We all got shakes and walked around town just lolling around. The night was uneventful for the most part, just good socializing.
Saturday morning though, I woke up early and headed out for a bike ride with my friend Spencer. My bike is a single speed and made of steel, and his is from the 80s and is louder than a Hybrid. Obviously we weren't breaking any speed records. I had mapped out a route that would take us into farming country where the roads were all pretty flat and surprisingly smooth.
The initial climb up to the temple essentially 'paid' for all the downhill the rest of the way. Since it's quite literally the middle of nowhere, there were very few cars on the road. And by cars I mean trucks that belong to the farmers. 95% of the time we had the road to ourselves and had ample space to goof around and ride no handed. Very skillfully, I took off my backpack, got my camera out, and snapped this picture... All while riding no handed.
We rode roughly 26 miles and completed in a time I'd rather not share. (Spencer is slower than me despite the fact he has at least 4x more functioning gears at any one time.)

I got home, showered, ate, laid around until the evening time. I then met up with Andrew and Kyle again and we were picked up by some friends and we all went to Chili's down in IF (Idaho Falls). There we celebrated one of the girl's birthdays and had a gay old time.
After the dinner, we headed back to Rexburg and met up at one the girls' apartments and had an 'Arab Dance Party'. Besides the possibility of eating nasty food and Bhangra dancing, I really didn't know what to expect, and quite frankly, I thought it was going to suck.

We walked in and some other people who weren't at dinner were already there and were dressed for the occasion: Towels rolled up and put on head, skirts with jingly metals, and fake beards. It was a surprise party (after the dinner? I know I was further confused...) so as more people got there, we applied fake beards and put towels on our head.
The birthday girl arrived, we didn't entirely surprise her, and the middle eastern music began. Eastern style dancing was attempted and was shockingly fun even though no one really knew what to do.

 Perhaps you can see Moses in the back left? When he walked in, we all, as if it were planned, shouted 'MOSES' from The Ten Commandments movie. 

At the end of the party, we said how we should have an 'Insensitive Party' every weekend. But we figured we wouldn't care if people in other countries had an American party and came dressed to that as a fat guy with a mullet. Especially since one guy came with paper towel tubes taped to his chest with TNT written on them... Good thing there's maybe 4 middle eastern people in the entire state of Idaho.
Sunday came-Stake Conference, or 10 hour church as I like to call it. Realistically it's only 2 hours, but with just talks, it seems to drag on a bit.
In the evening though, our apartment finally put plan into action as we, at long last, constructed our fort.
From the Kitchen^^

From the inside of our new fort room.^^
It's awesome. We tell secrets, eat popcorn and watch TV.

And finally, today I woke up the unpleasant noises of raindrops hitting out window. I put on pants and shirt and looked felt outside to see how cold it was. It was 2 zip up jacket weather.

I threw those on, brushed my teeth and put together my backpack. I grabbed my umbrella and headed outside. But now... It was snowing?! I wasn't sure if I was supposed to still use an umbrella. So I acted like a freshman and pranced around in my snazzy umbrella.
I was glad I did because at some points, the snow was going horizontally. While others tucked their heads down and walked blindly on the sidewalks, I stood tall, umbrella directly ahead of me, also walking blindly. The difference being, I didn't have snowflakes (that would inevitably melt and be wet) all over myself.

The week is only supposed to get colder so we'll see how long before I break down and cry. But I must go out on a high note so... There's less than 2 weeks before I come back to amazing California weather!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey my bike is smaller and i was stuck in the lower gears! lol

wanda said...

Oh, and the weather IS amazing. Bike ride today in shorts and sun shining. Okay, so it's in the 60's, but it's all good.

I've never heard of an Arab party, but very funny.

PaloAltoCougar said...

I think the party idea was insensitive, shallow and politically incorrect. I'm proud of you.